Proper steps for filtering beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I am prepping to filter my brew for the first time and wanted to run my "perceived" plans past everyone and see if I am on point or missing something:
1. I intend on racking beer into clean/sanitized keg from secondary fermentor. I think I may put sanitized paint strainer bag at end of racking hose in to collect as much residual trub/yeast that may come out of the fermentor;
2. Next, I was going to add gelatin ("bloomed and heated) into the keg and then put keg in the kegerator to bring it down to 40 degrees;
3. Not sure if I am going to add this step or not, but next day after the cold crash, I was considering filtering the beer through a 5 micron beer filter from "keg to keg" using CO2 (as always, cleaned and sanitized);
4. After filtered, I was then going force carb for 4 minutes shaking keg at 30 PSI.
5. Finally, I was going to set PSI serving pressure at 10-12 PSI (or whatever the recipe calls for) for the next 5-6 days after that.

Does anyone see any steps I missed or any steps they believe are not necessary?

Well, recently I finished a blonde ale. After ten days in the primary it was done. I cold crashed it over night, racked it too the keg on some gelatin, and filled the headspace. After 24 hours, I turned the gas back on I set the gauge to about 25 PSI, and shook hell out of the keg for a few minutes. Then for the next 24 hours when ever i thought of it I shook hell out of it again. Then I turned it down to 12 PSI, and left it for a couple days. I pulled the first glass and it was a bit cloudy. Everything after that was clear as day, you can read through it. Or you could have before it was annihilated by my heathen friends! My .02 cents

Back