Propane Tank Sheared/Seized in Open Position

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
So my propane tank is stuck open in the backyard. The valve handle broke off and the brass valve stem is crumbling when I try to turn it with pliers. I've got the burner regulator attached for now.

What should I do?

This is a Blue Rhino propane tank I bought from Sam's Club a couple months ago and just filled for the first time last week. The guy who filled it said it's already close to needing recertification.

Yeah, that sounds dicey. As much as I wouldn't like to do it, I think I would just burn the gas off, and then disconnect the tank. Maybe fry a turkey?

Just had this exact same thing happen with a blue rhino yesterday. I was able to finesse it enough to shut off, but the screw in valve is completely separated. Luckily I always keep 2 tanks on hand.

I'm just going to take the loss and exchange it. It's still about 3/4 full of propane.

How do I exchange a busted tank? I was planning to go to Amerigas this week to recertify the other one. They'll fix it?

Just go to your gas station/groery store/usual exchange spot and turn it in. I've never had anyone inspect one or ask questions... It's a BR tank, it will make it back to BR to be re-tested and filled and they'll fix it then or trash it, whichever they see fit.

Back