Propane shutting off when turning up flow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TsunamiBeer

Reaction score
I just hooked up the gas on my new brew stand. I was running two 10" banjo burners and trying to turn the flow up to both. At a certain point it loses gas. Is this the regulator turning off the gas because it thinks there is a leak? Will a two stage regulator fix this?

It's inside the tank. It's there incase the top valve is open and isn't connected to anything.

It's the check valve they are talking about at the top of this webpage.

Tanks have pressure relief valves that will simply vent gas to the atmosphere if the internal tank pressure is too high. This valve rarely causes issues (though it's probably pretty exciting when one decides to dump!)

Regulators with an ACME nut have an Excess Flow Prevention valve inside the ACME nut - it's that brass section within the nut that has a spring loaded ball that will close if the flow is too high (like if a hose breaks). It is this valve that causes most grief to brewers...

Cheers!

The acme nut comes in three different types and they are different colors. Black is up to 65,000 to 100,000 btu. Green is up to 200,000 btu. Red is up to 500,000. They do this by shutting off if to much volume goes by. If you upgrade this it should take care of the problem.
You can get a higher rated one from here.
http://brewhardware.com/valves-69/146-wldip58

That link is not correct. In fact I couldn't find any gas regulators on Bobby's site but I just glanced around and I haven't been on his site in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is it possibly the propane tanks freezing up? I have that issue here but I'm in a cold climate and using 14" banjo burners. Try keeping the tanks warmed in a water bath while doing a heavy burn.

If you notice the pressure dropping (reduced visible flame and reduced sound), try shaking the tank around a bit. If the pressure increases, it's likely a freezing issue.

It went out within a minute of firing up and only when adjusting the valve higher. I think the ACME nut diagnosis is probably correct. Thx.

On my setup, the lp tank has to be turned on only when the adjustable regulator is in the off position. If the lp tank is opened while the regulator is on, the flow is greatly reduced. It has to due with the reg building up internal pressure. I have the same issue on my BBQ grill.

I have the higher flow acme nut and a two stage regulator coming in the next couple days. I will test it when they arrive.

On my setup, the lp tank has to be turned on only when the adjustable regulator is in the off position. If the lp tank is opened while the regulator is on, the flow is greatly reduced. It has to due with the reg building up internal pressure. I have the same issue on my BBQ grill.

You're describing the same ACME nut excess flow preventor syndrome...

Cheers!

Back