propane problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreasyGuitar

Reaction score
finished the first mash of two planned brew days for this weekend. 7 gallons of wort in the pot, and my lit kick-a-banjo burner goes out. i re-lit it, but it went back out after a few minutes. so, i shut off both valves, and lifted the propane tank. it didn't feel empty (had 4 brew days on the tank), but i figured it was worth a try trading it for a full one. hook up the new tank, re-light...same thing. the rig sits on level ground. think it's the regulator or the burner itself? anyone know of a local (louisville, ky) place that sells parts or something similar? i'd like to get at least one brew day this weekend, so the internet is out unless i absolutely have to wait to brew.

You probably have vapor lock in the regulator. Do NOT turn off your burner using the valve on the tank. Close your valve on the tank and disconnect everything and grab a beer or some cold drink then come back and start again.

1. Check first to make sure your Banjo burner's valve is shut off.
2. Connect fully to the propane tank.
3. Open the valve on the tank all the way.
4. Open the banjo burner valve and light burner.

To turn off, close the banjo burner valve.

Don't mess with the tank valve till you are done for the day.

This is a common mistake and problem.

More than likely you simply tripped the OPD valve which cuts the gas flow to a trickle in the event of a major leak or cut hose. This often happens when you open the tank valve with the burner valve also open.

The remedy:

1. Close both the burner valve and the tank valve.

2 With burner valve closed, open the tank valve fully.

3. Open burner valve and ignite as needed.

4. When shutting down completely, turn the tank valve off first, then the burner valve.

What kind of mileage are you getting with your banjo burner?

thanks for the quick replies, guys. i usually follow those steps, and could have sworn i did this time as well. the burner has it's fifth brew sitting on it now. it's been sitting with both valves closed for about two hours now, so i'll try it again (the wort is still fairly warm). anything else to try?

I've had this happen too. I just did as above, shut off the valve on the burner, shut off the valve on the tank, disconnected the burner from the tank, hooked everything back up and all was good. Good luck...

thanks again, guys. finally got it going. i left everything disconnected for a bit before hooking it back. i also noticed that it burns fine as long as i don't open the burner's regulator full throttle. it very well could have been vapor lock, but the regulator isn't without blame. i think one of these might be climbing my list, right behind a keezer:

King Kooker: Item Details

Back