Propane indoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
missing link said:
I was thinking of adding a high flow bath vent to the ceiling in my brew area and then cracking a window on the other side. In cold weather, the incoming air being much colder than the house air is going to go right to the floor.

That and a CO sensor 12 inches or so off the floor should tell me if my air exchange is sufficient. my main reason for brewing downstairs is to keep everything in a small area with my hot tap water and sanitized stuff within reach.

When I finish off my storage/laundry/brew area in my basement, I was going to do this as well ... I was probably going to use 2 bathroom exhaust fans. I think that, coupled with having either a window open or even just the basement door open (cold air sinking down the stairs) should probably do the trick.

pldoolittle:

You have made some assertions about CO production; I would like to see the references you used to back up them up. I would also point out that in a static situation with no air flow and therefore no mixing, you might get some segregation and settling of really heavy gases but not of CO. CO has a molecular weight of 28, exactly the same as nitrogen. The air we breath is 78% nitrogen, and as far as I know, no one has ever experienced death by suffocation when they went into a closed room in which the N2 settled out.

So I respectfully say, I don't believe that CO coming off a hot flame in a room with any air movement is going to settle to the floor as you suggest it will. No doubt that generation of large amounts of CO in a confined space is dangerous, but not due to settling. If you have some authoritative reference to counter what I say, please post it.

AiredAle said:
I would like to see the references you used to back up them up.
<...>
If you have some authoritative reference to counter what I say, please post it.

I had actually drafted a rather lengthy response to your post with references, etc. However, when I re-read my post before sending I realized that I didn't care for the tone of my reply or more particularly that of your post. I was trying to re-write my response to be less abrasive when something occurred to me. That being; It is a no-win exercise for me to try and disprove a endless string of contrarian arguments whose only basis is speculation. As such, I have deleted my original response and instead substitute this one:

All the references you seek can be found easily at http://www.google.com.

Brewer3401 said:
Lots of great feedback - thanks to all.

Thinking: I couldn't brew in an enclosed area without sweating to death anyway.

Even if I used electric, the boiloff would swamp me with humidity.

I guess a good vent would be good, combined with a window A/C unit - the A/C unit pulls outside air in, and the exhaust fan pushes it out.

Sure the electric bill will show it, but I don't do this for a living.
So true... but I live in FL. and can't imagine it being cold enough to brew indoors. However last month at 90+° is another matter... I would be nice to be inside with the AC.! I would never consider it with my burner as is. I have NEVER seen an all blue flame. On top of brewing I use it for frying and boiling peanuts and (once) Lobster. (It gets some use)

No disrespect guys.
I'm going to go through this and delete off topic posts.

It's a waste of time for the users looking for answers on future searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back