Proof?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a little glass instrument called a vinometer that gives a rough measure of alcohol content, so long as its not carbonated.
Theres also an instrument that measures the boiling point that will tell you abv, forget what its called.

Vinometer will only work accurately if it is completely dry, which is probably the case. If you can give us a recipe we can estimate your OG (original gravity) and from there guess at where your abv may be at. But for next time, you should get a hydrometer to measure your OG and FG (final gravities) and then you can calculate your own abv.

rough estimate if it was straight juice and fermented all the way out is 6-8%
If sugars were added, then the only way to know is to estimate the OG and the FG

I use a baume hydrometer which is graduated to give an estimate of final abv if fermented dry, no calculations necessary. A baume of 6.5 will give 6.5% abv.
Most winemakers in europe and Australia use baume hydrometers.

the recipe was:
5 gallons regular apple juice
1 pound light brown sugar
2 packets yeast

Edit: we kept it in primary for three weeks

thanks for the information about the vinometer. We will be getting one of those.

thanks for the information about the vinometer. We will be getting one of those.

I actually recommend getting a hydrometer rather than the vinometer. Its more flexible with regards to what you can use it with (beer, cider, mead, wine, etc...) the vinometer is only good with something that has fermented down very low, so it wouldnt work with most beers or a cider that is not fully fermented out.

If you buy a vinometer you should calibrate it first because they are not terribly reliable. Use a bottle of cheap red wine with the abv on the label, and check the vinometer with this. The one I have always exaggerates a bit, which is nice but good to know. Also take a few readings to get a good idea of what the actual reading is, it can vary even with the same wine.
Other than that they will give a reasonable reading for a suitable beverage.

Back