Prolonged Ferm...Should I be Worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewPiper

Reaction score
I'm doing a Belgian White. I pitched about a week and a half ago, and I still have a 1" Krausen with a bunch of brown yeast riding it. Airlock is still bubbling every 10 seconds. It smells infected but tastes fine. Should I be worried? Anyone have any explanation for this weirdness?

What do you mean it smells infected? Exactly how does it smell?

I've had non infected beers which took over 3 weeks for the kraeusen to fall. Some fermentations just do that, I suppose.

What do you mean by it smells infected?

10 days of active fermentation isn't unusual enough to be worried about, imho. As for the krausen, some yeasts throw krausen that sinks and with others it tends to stick around and you need to rack from underneath it. I think you should just wait it out, have patience, and let it develop. Put the lid on and check it again in another week. Most likely, everything is just fine :)

It smells sour and sharp to me, I had an infected batch a few months ago that smelled exactly like this one, which is why I'm worried. Thanks for the advice though, I'll give it another two weeks and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back