Prog rock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurvymeat

Reaction score
I have seen a few threads in regards to other music styling but no prog!
So I may be alone here but if not tell me your prog elite!

For me it began with Dream.Theater around six degrees of inner turbulence. From there; deadsoul tribe, evergrey, pain of salvation, spock's beard, ayreon, katatonia and piety (I think they fit), at the drive-in, the mars Volta, 32 leaves, sarcoma, animals as leaders, township, beard fish, between the buried and me, procuring tree, the butterfly effect, nectar, cog, dinosaur Jr., diorama, dredg, fates warning, iamx, ism, karnivool, lunatic soul, riverside, marillian, the Mayan factor, Madison, minus the bear, mostly Autumn, nevermore, portis head, psychotic waltz, quidam, Rishloo, spiritual beggars, strata, symphony x, tyr, vanden plas, Warren Dane,
Then the obvious ELO, YES, pink Floyd... Etc.

Some are soft some.metal but I would consider all to he progressive and experimental

Sent from my C6606 using Home Brew mobile app

Yeah, I've been deeply immersed in Prog since the early 70s. It's a pretty wide genre actually, with vague borders and well over 20 subgenres, such as Prog Metal, Canterbury, Krautrock, Space Prog, Fusion, Neo Prog, Italian Prog, to name a few.

Although Yes, Pink Floyd, and the Moody Blues were formative for me, my serious Prog commitment really started with Genesis (Gabriel era). I couldn't believe the intricacies of the music and pages and pages of cryptic and inspiring lyrics.

Here are a few of my favorites that just come to mind:
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
Jethro Tull
Marillion (Fish era)
Barclay James Harvest
Camel
Ange
Hawkwind
Änglagård
White Willow
Kennedy
Keiji Haino
Albion
Clepsydra
La Tulipe Noire
PFM
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
After Forever
Earth & Fire
Focus

Yeah, I've been deeply immersed in Prog since the early 70s.............

Me too, which is why I immediately, and accidentally, saw your user name as a King Crimson reference. (Island record label, Lizzard)

Just as mine is a sneaky Gong reference mixed in with an old user name of mine.

Me too, which is why I immediately, and accidentally, saw your user name as a King Crimson reference. (Island record label, Lizzard)

Just as mine is a sneaky Gong reference mixed in with an old user name of mine.

You really need to be a prog insider to catch those inferences :mug:
I know I smiled when seeing that clever nym of yours. You'd make Daevid Allen wonder why he didn't think of it!

I have a huge prog library and even pinpointing favorites is a futile task, since much depends on mood and state of mind at the time. It's difficult to ignore the big and prolific names in prog, but for me the niche is in finding those obscure gems that you end up listening to for weeks in a row, then make place for something entirely different, only to be found again and make you happy instantly. Perhaps they are the memorable experiences that really count, at least in Prog, such as:

Univers Zero
Present
Mörglbl
Jack Dupon
Ozric Tentacles
Flash
Trettioåriga Kriget
Samla Mammas Manna

Or songs like:
Awaken (Rick Wakeman, Yes)
Selling England by the Pound (Genesis)
Thick as a Brick (Jethro Tull)
Epitaph (KC)
In Mist She Was Standing (Opeth)

Really!? You can't mention prog rock without mentioning Rush it's like sacrilegious or something

:smack:

While in Canada, let's add:
Saga
Miriodor (Avant-Prog)
Red Sand (Fish era Marillion clone)
Nathan Mahl (Fusion)
Irrgarten (Psych-Prog, obscure)

Yeah, I've been deeply immersed in Prog since the early 70s. It's a pretty wide genre actually, with vague borders and well over 20 subgenres, such as Prog Metal, Canterbury, Krautrock, Space Prog, Fusion, Neo Prog, Italian Prog, to name a few.

Although Yes, Pink Floyd, and the Moody Blues were formative for me, my serious Prog commitment really started with Genesis (Gabriel era). I couldn't believe the intricacies of the music and pages and pages of cryptic and inspiring lyrics.

Here are a few of my favorites that just come to mind:
King Crimson
Gentle Giant
Jethro Tull
Marillion (Fish era)
Barclay James Harvest
Camel
Ange
Hawkwind
Änglagård
White Willow
Kennedy
Keiji Haino
Albion
Clepsydra
La Tulipe Noire
PFM
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
After Forever
Earth & Fire
Focus

Your list reads like a list of some of my favorites, though there are a few I don't recognize.

Getting heavy rotation on my sound system: Crimson, ELP, Yes, Focus, Gentle Giant, Tull, Gabriel-era Genesis, Nektar, Mike Oldfield, ELO, Frank Zappa, Rush, Marillion, Camel, Caravan, Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, Eloy, Crack The Sky, Greenslade, Kayak, Egg, Gong, Can, Hawkwind, Triumvirat, Kansas, Dream Theater, Jade Warrior, Klaus Schulze, Moody Blues ("core 7" albums), Hatfield and the North, PFM, Banco, Rick Wakeman...

Check out Wobbler, a Norwegian prog band that has a strong early '70s ELP/Yes/Crimson influence. They use only instruments that were prevalent during the era. First time I listened to them, I had to look at the copyright date on the CD case to make sure it wasn't 1972. Good stuff.

I must say I am glad to see the prog group is alive and well. Also it was a sneaky way for me to find new bands. Also, I do apologize for leaving out Rush!

Sent from my C6606 using Home Brew mobile app

It is so good to see prog rockers out there. We like to stay in the shadows and enjoy the flow of the music. Not too many I talk to like this style of tunes.
I have been listening to OSI, Flying Colors, Winery Dogs, and much of what has already been mentioned.
Check out morow-dot-com. Lots of interesting tunes there. This is my go to station.
:rockin:

Back