Producing Yeast for 10 gallons with 1 smack pack???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilburgh

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a 10 gallon batch on Friday. I'm hoping to save a couple bucks by only buying 1 smackpack and making a starter to produce enough yeast cells to ferment all 10 gallons. Should I just make 1 starter, or should double it up and make a starter for the starter as well. The OG will be 1.056 range. If I should do two starters, is it as simple as just adding some wort to the first starter the day after the first starter?

you will def. want to step it up. if you start now, you can probably have it ready to decant for brew day.

if you have a stir plate, you can probably get away with throwing a 1l starter into a 2l and call it good. cold crash the night before and decant prior to pitching.

i like using yeastcalculator.com to get these numbers ~

http://yeastcalculator.com/

for 10g batches, you'll find that a 5l flask is quite useful. make your stage 1 starter in a standard 2l flask and dump the entire contents right into the 5l with fresh boiled and cooled wort. this saves you the time of crashing and decanting stage 1 and ensure you transfer ALL the yeast. good for yeast health too i assume to not get cold crashed and warmed back up

when I am trying to step up a starter in multiple flasks, I make as large of a starter as I can in a single one and once it shows activity, I have another flask filled with unfermented wort ready. I pour them back and forth between each other to aerate and mix up all the yeast I cant really see. Seems to work fine. Ive never had one take off and the other just sit there

Back