Process question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readybrew

Reaction score
Is there any benefit to recirculating mash from cooler MT to boil kettle and back up to MT? I only loose a couple degrees over the hour but was thinking this might keep temps more even and possible help clear the wort. Or is this just more work for no gain?

Is there any benefit to recirculating mash from cooler MT to boil kettle and back up to MT? I only loose a couple degrees over the hour but was thinking this might keep temps more even and possible help clear the wort. Or is this just more work for no gain?

sounds like a lot of work; however it's not all that different from a decoction mash, where you remove a percentage of the mash, bring it to a boil, then return it to the MT. If you are only loosing a couple degrees, then I wouldn't worry too much. If you are loosing more than 5 or 10 deg. then maybe a mini decoction is in order! (or a new MLT).

If you have some way to heat the wort as part of the recirculation then the benifit would be that you could do a step mash. Like a RIMS or HERMS system. Personally I don't think a step mash really adds much to the beer. So IMHO it's not a major benefit. Especially when you consider all the added equipment needed for this type of systems.

A simple vorlauf is all you need for clearing your wort.

sounds like a lot of work; however it's not all that different from a decoction mash, where you remove a percentage of the mash, bring it to a boil, then return it to the MT. If you are only loosing a couple degrees, then I wouldn't worry too much. If you are loosing more than 5 or 10 deg. then maybe a mini decoction is in order! (or a new MLT).

A decoction is different. In a decoction you boil the grain not the wort. One goal of a decoction is a step mash. But there are other goals like color and melanoidin development.

A decoction is different. In a decoction you boil the grain not the wort. One goal of a decoction is a step mash. But there are other goals like color and melanoidin development.

Yeah, I know it's different, I am just referring to the process of removing mash, heating it, and returning it to the MLT.

Back