problems with batch size: top off secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am having this problem with a pilsner that is sitting right now in the secondary @ 52F. I'm a new brewer and I have just found out my 5 gallon line on the true brew fermentation bucket is actually 4 to 4-1/4 gallons. my last brew tastes better when I add 20% cold water to the glass before drinking, but it looses carbonation a bit.
I've been thinking if I can top off - siphoning - with pre-boiled, cooled water (to avoid oxidation) or maybe use like 3/4 gallon for priming.
What should I do?

that's the brew:
1 can coopers brewmaster pilsener + 2lbs x-tra light DME with saflager us-23
specialty: 1/2 lbs munich light + 1/2 lbs german crystal 10
1oz saaz 15 min + 1oz saaz 1 min.
OG 1.057 (for the 4 - 4-1/4 gallons) I was expecting about 1.047 - 1.052
yeast pithced directly @ 54F
racked to secondary after 8 days - hyd reading 1.014
*This recipe should be for 5 gallons

Don't add water. They suggest topping up to reduce oxygen contact with the beer, but it's not necessary. You should rack to secondary when your fermentation is about 90% finished. The last 10% will generate enough CO2 to purge the head space of any oxygen.

You really shouldn't add water to your beer with the exception of an extreme case (I'm not sure what that case would be, but it's not something you'd normally encounter).

ok guys, would this be the extreme case?

thx a lot

Well I don't think I would add water to my beer unless I knew it would make my beer better. Its better to look at it as, quality over quantity.

Bud brews their beer stronger and then waters it down.

Transferring to secondary will release some dissolved CO2, which being heavier than air will prevent any oxygen from contacting your beer, so no need for topping off to fill head space.

If you want a lighter beer, topping off with water will definitely do it, and you might want to if you miscalculated your volume going into the primary. Using extra water when priming would get the job done as well.

I guess your posts emphasizes the importance of not relying on the nifty little pre-printed volume lines on our equipment. Makes me want to get up and calibrate my fermenters!

So this thread got me thinking, I have a barley wine fermenting and I'm thinking that I might try watering down (in the keg) a portion just to see how it turns out.

You could make a one gallon batch, let that primary for a week, then add it to the secondary.

But I would probably just go with the 4-4.5 gal. batch, bottle that, and do an entire new batch. Killian is right, 4 gal. of good beer is better than 5 gal. of mediocre beer.

turns out that I boiled and chilled some water, and topped off the secondary with that. and the beer came out pretty decent. everyone that tried, liked it... it was a pilsener, and the recipe was concentrated, too strong didn't mean better beer this time. it was light with a nice body and good hop aroma (saaz) nice for summer!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back