Problems with a Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimhenning

New-old brewer
Reaction score
Ok folks, I brewed a Kolsch, it was supposed to come out light and all that, but the color was pretty dang dark, i'd put it up around the Amber color...anyways thats not the big issue, the big issue is it tastes "funny" ...it sat in primary for 2-3 weeks, I lost track, then it went into secondary, then into a keg, I waited a few days for carbonation and its just off. Feels like even if I primed and bottled it it didn't ferment...So, when I brewed a new batch of red ale, I made extra yeast starter, about 2 packets worth. I poured about half a packets worth of yeast into the kolsch (mind you its back in the sanitized bucket) and I added some sugar for the yeast, hoping to maybe start fermenting again. I was away on vacation the first time so never got to check if the airlock was bubbling. I went to check this week and no bubbles. I'm wondering if I royally screwed this batch...any notes/tips? I was considering just tossing in some blueberries/lemons/oranges, trying to give it some flavor and pass it off as some kind of cider ha! Any advice would be great, thanks guys.

Jim

Curious how you carbed it in the keg - force carb or sugar? Have you tasted it since you got back? If it doesn't taste horrible you could definitely save it, either with fruit or making a sour out of it. Or both.

bubbles do not indicate fermentation. you should rely on your gravity readings to determine if fermentation is taking place.

what was your FG before pitching the additional yeast and sugar?

are you familiar with how a kolsch is supposed to taste? it's a light and crisp tasting style of beer...but it's not going to be as clean as your typical lager.

Did you actually use a Kolsch yeast, or was this some sort of Chino strain (american ale yeast?), which would be typical of the yeast for the red ale? A Kolsch isn't a Kolsch if you don't use a Kolsch yeast!

What were your fermentation temps?

It doesn't look like you lagered this one. A Kolsch typically has a cold storage lagering period on the order of 4-6 weeks. I think you skipped that step!

Did you actually use a Kolsch yeast, or was this some sort of Chino strain (american ale yeast?), which would be typical of the yeast for the red ale? A Kolsch isn't a Kolsch if you don't use a Kolsch yeast!

What were your fermentation temps?

It doesn't look like you lagered this one. A Kolsch typically has a cold storage lagering period on the order of 4-6 weeks. I think you skipped that step!

I ordered it as a kit from Midwest...it said Cologne Kolsch, came with everything to make a Kolsch, and no didn't lager per se, it sat for almost a month in my basement, i'd say 64-ish degrees....

Made a kolsch last night and wondering what the white stuff floating in kettle is, wort had no hops yet, is this unconverted malt sugars? it tasted sweet, once added hops it broke down but still there, never used pilsner malt or Vienna, don't think that much cloudiness came from the half pound of Vienna and Munich, does pilsner malt produce a cream corn type of cloud in the pre boil wort?

Kolsch yeast produces a sulfer taste when it ferments, it take a long time for that sulfur taste to go away, I'm talking 3 months of age/conditioning.

I use the Kolsch yeast often and it always takes a long time to get that off taste out of the beer.

Cheers :mug:

I have good luck pushing Kolsch grain to keg in 15 days, I start fermenting at 72 for 2 days then 70 for 2 days then 68 for 2 days, 66 for 2, 64 for 2, 60 for 2, 58 for 2 then straight to crash, found it has a better taste then keeping at one temp, Only bottled on batch and it was good, legged over 20 gallons this month, my brother loves the stuff, personal not a fan of the taste, pale ales and IPAs :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back