Problem with John Guest 5/8 BSPP shank connectors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnef

Reaction score
So I am trying out the John guest connectors for the shanks using the 5/8 BSPP. The probem is that on the end that threads onto the shank, there is an internal nipple of sorts that only allow the fitting to thread on a little bit, and the gasket doesn't get a chance to seal against the face of the shank.

Have any of you run into this issue as well?

What I am thinking of doing, is just drilling out that internal nipple part so that the gasket can seal against the shank. I'll see if I can post a picture later if any are interested.

Here is a picture of the fitting:
17258660764_d92555dd9e_c.jpg

That is weird! My fittings are definitely not like that; they're just as you'd expect them to be? Is it an authentic Jihn Guest fitting? Where did you get it? I'd return it if possible, and get the proper fitting versus trying to make that work. That is just my $0.02! Good luck. Btw I got mine through freshwatersystems.com

I got this as a 10 pack from amazon, they were sealed all together in the bag, these are definitely authentic John Guest fittings.

I will say though, that I am using a slightly different tube size than everyone else - 3/8" OD tubing, so these are not the exact same model, but a different tube size model.

The reason I am going with 3/8" OD is I am first trying these out on my Jockey boxes where I am using 3/8" OD vinyl for the output from the cold plate.

I am also changing out the faucets on the coffin box from the walk-in to Perlick 650ss, which will allow me to adjust the restriction at the faucet, which means I can use 3/8" bev seal ultra tubing which is a 1/4" ID which will have a much lower pressure drop, which allows me to keep using the 3/8" John Guest fittings I've already been using with gas and beer vinyl lines for years, and not buy 5/16" OD ones just for the liquid lines.

You got the wrong fittings...those are cone end type.

You want PI451215FS not PI451215CS.

Also I'm not sure vinyl tubing is appropriate for use with John Guest fittings. You may have issues with leaking.

That must be it, I just did more searching about it. I don't know if I can return these, as I opened the bag. I did find the correct listing, so I may go ahead and purchase those, and chuck this up to a learning experience.

As for leaking, I have gas leaks everywhere, so I don't notice if it is particular to the JG fittings (I just don't leave the gas hooked up, I always disconnect it after I'm done). I have been using these for years for both gas and liquid, and have never had a liquid leak that wasn't due to me not inserting the tubing far enough. I standardized to 3/16 x 3/8 tubing a while ago for both liquid and gas. I have been interested in trying the bev seal ultra, but was unwilling to change all my fittings to 5/16. This way will provide me with a way to do that if I choose to in the future.

well, new ones are ordered, and Amazon will accept these back, even with the bag open, so it looks like things will work out in the end. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back