Problem with batch 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibrew2little

Reaction score
So my very first batch looked amazing. Perfect color and smell. But blew up all over my kitchen. This batch with same ingredients, same mash temp and time, same everything looks more cloudy. More suspended particles and smells slightly different. I though infection but I cleaned everything really good. Not sure maybe something more I am missing?!

Thanks to all and happy brewing

image-4078466268.jpg

There are just so many variables to account for...more/less break material transferred, different ferm temp, health/activity of yeast, etc. Consistency in homebrewing takes knowing your equipment well and a lot of practice.

I would say to give it some time, take some gravity readings and the accompanying taste tests during or after primary to evaluate how it is progressing.

Aside from a bit too much headspace, it's hard to deduce anything from your picture.

ColoHox said:
There are just so many variables to account for...more/less break material transferred, different ferm temp, health/activity of yeast, etc. Consistency in homebrewing takes knowing your equipment well and a lot of practice.

I would say to give it some time, take some gravity readings and the accompanying taste tests during or after primary to evaluate how it is progressing.

Aside from a bit too much headspace, it's hard to deduce anything from your picture.

Agreed. Did a 5 day ferment. OG 1.080. FG 1.020. Doing a 7 day dry hop. This picture was taken prior to the racking to secondary. It's a IPA

Kinda looks to me like convection stirring up trub. If the pic is after day 5 the yeast are probably still churning. Cold crashing will probably help clear the murk and restore the color you expect. What was your mash temp

And, I'm gonna say it- one more reason to use a bucket. All your brews could look off and you'd never know, especially if they still taste great! ;) Kyle

Latest posts

Back