problem-- no yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlankDisc

Reaction score
I decided i would make cider today and realized i have no more yeast, i do have an active batch of white wine and some bottled homebrew cider and beer, can i just pour a cider in to my carboy with the other ingredients and the yeast from that will work? maybe use some of the fermenting wine or the yeast from the bottom of one of my home brew beers.

Thanks

Drink a couple and use the yeast, one probably won't be enough. Or make a starter from a bottle.

Unless you used stabilizers or pasteurized it, the yeast in the bottle will probably work. What kind of yeast is it on your last cider?

Also, if no LHBS is around, Fleischmann's ferments apple juice very well and doesn't taste like bread. It's a pretty neutral flavored yeast when I'ved used it in apfelwein and mead. You can always lie to people and say you used something else if you are worried about being made fun of.

Back