Problem in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyoder

Reaction score
Hello all. I witnessed a rather disturbing sight I've never seen in my primary before. After the krausen fell back into the partially fermented beer it took a large amount of chunky objects with it. It's my first time brewing with lager yeast (it's a California Common with Wyeast 2112) and I don't know what to think. Is this normal? I've never seen so many chunks this large in any of my previous batches. Usually it was only hop resins left behind as a film on the inside of the carboy. These are actually chunks of nasty.

Thoughts?

I highly doubt there is a problem. I've seen some very interesting gunk meandering around there in the beer at times. Other than the chunks, is everything as expected fermentation-wise, smell -wise?

If the chunks grow tentacles, take some pictures and let us know! Otherwise, I bet it's fine. :D

It smells fine, as far as I could tell through the airlock, a biy sanitizery, as expected. Otherwise I think everything else seemed normal. Fermentation within 7 hourse with the Wyeast starter. I have just never seen comets like that flying around the beer and a large pile of them on the bottom. Such a large amount. Hmmm. I did take a picture but I seem to have misplaced the usb to the computer temporarily. If they do anything weird like grow appendages or wink at me, I'll definitely post them :)

Thanks for your response, this would have been a sad batch to toss. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Would it be a bad idea to open it up and get my nose in there as long as I don't drool in it?

I've always used a blow-off hose on the 5 gallon, but both of those are full and I had to use a 6 gallon for the first time. It still reached the fermentation lock though. Another vote for it's ok? Excellent, 2-0 for keeping it.

Thanks for the response.

Latest posts

Back