Probiotics, Bacteria Starters, No-Boil, Hop Teas, and more - my first co-pitched Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long did you leave it in the fermenter in total before bottling, and how did it turn out in the end?
Infected - it smelled like acetone. See above, haha!

The follow-up Gose that got a short boil is quite nice, though. I did bump up the acidity on the way into the bottling bucket with a few mL of lactic acid on that one. I've also got another small sour wheat on the yeast cake from that Gose. I'm thinking I might add some Brett at bottling on that one just for fun.

It's true I didn't cover different ways of sourcing the microbes (e.g. dregs, spontaneous, wild starters, etc), hopping methods, AG vs extract, or blending .... But as far as pitching schedule I hope I got everything.

I consider spontaneous to be included in the Brett beer category "everything pitched at once". Whether there's actually going to be Brett in there is uncertain, but you treat it the same. Most/all commercial producers that use spontaneous microbes also pitch a Brett culture at the same time.

Last edited:
Infected - it smelled like acetone. See above, haha!

From a quick google search, it looks like Lactobacillus can produce acetone, so maybe it wasn't contaminated, just had too much oxygen exposure. Just because it can produce acetone though, doesn't mean it's likely to in beer - so maybe your beer was contaminated with something like acetobacter. The question there is, 'is Lactobacillus likely to produce acetone in the presence of oxygen in beer'? Brett certainly can.

Back