Probably got a little impatient. Options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 34267

Reaction score
So, I've been brewing a Pliny the Elder clone. It hit terminal gravity yesterday morning, and the gravity is the same tonight. It's been 9 days. I decided I'd dry-hop in primary since lots of people seem to do that. So I went ahead and added the pelleted hops tonight.

Reflecting now, I think it might have been prudent to wait several more days or a week before dry hopping - I really wanted to let the beer settle and clear a bit.

I want to dry hop for around 10 days but am leery of leaving that large quantity of hops on the beer for much longer than that.

So, given that, what would be the recommended path? Should I relax, let the ten days elapse, then strain the crap out of it when I siphon to the bottling bucket? Should I let the ten days elapse and then rack it to a secondary to let it settle out more? Something else?

One secret to is to wrap sanitzed panty hose around the end of your racking cane. This should strain out the hops. That's the bad thing about dry hopping, one is that the hops will absorb some beer (if whole leaf). Two, its hard to syphon around, but be patient and syphon under it.

I would let it set 10 days max, I have never personally experienced it, but if you leave beer on hops to long you will get some grassy flavors vs hop aroma/flavor.

Let it be. 19 days is nothing. The beer will be fine and taste great.

My chief concern wasn't the total duration being too long. Actually, I really wanted it to sit a little longer! It's that I don't want the hops to sit too long and impart bad flavors to the beer, so I'm thinking that I am now limited to the 19 days instead of getting a little more time to clarify/settle.

I don't know how long is "too long" but I have left plenty of batches on the hops for 2 weeks with no ill effects........

Latest posts

Back