Primins question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OofC_Zer0

Reaction score
So I have done 2 batches thus far. One was a brewers best kit that i modified. And the other was a Pliny The Elder Clone (AG). And in the kit it had a priming sugar that i boiled and added right before bottling. And in the Pliny clone it had dextrose that I added right before boiling. So I guess my question is, is the dextrose being added before the boil my priming sugar? Also I am currently mashing my grains for a Two Hearted Clone. But there is no priming sugar listed on there as well. Is there some general rule of thumb that I have missed out on? Thank you in advance. Here is the Two Hearted Recipe(i pulled this off of a HBT thread):
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)
Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 52.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): at least 4 weeks at 65 F
Tasting Notes: Extremely drinkable. This clone is as perfect as I can tell.

The actual gravity for this beer is 1.064
The FG is 1.010
Yeast is taken from a bottle of Bells Amber (their Pale Ale also works)

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.85 %

*mash at 150 F

1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (60 min) Hops 30.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (15 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (1 min) Hops 1.3 IBU

7% ABV

You don't add priming sugar before the boil. It's called priming sugar because you're "priming" the fermented & cleared beer to do a 2nd fermentation in the bottles to carbonate it.

well that doesnt really answer my question. My question is that there is obviously not any priming sugar added to the two hearted or the Pliny recipe, so do I need to anyway? Or will it carbonate itself?

well that doesnt really answer my question. My question is that there is obviously not any priming sugar added to the two hearted or the Pliny recipe, so do I need to anyway? Or will it carbonate itself?

It should. You don't add priming sugar to the boil. It'll just ferment out in primary. And NO,the beer won't carbonate. Priming sugar,as I said,is added after fermentation when you're going to bottle. That way,the yeast still in solution will carbonate the beer. Since you said you added the priming sugar to the boil,you'll get nothing but a tad more sugar in primary to ferment out. So if this still doesn't answer your question,you got some more reading to do. Priming is done AFTER fermentation,not added to the boil.

Most recipes do not include priming sugar unless you buy a kit. Yes, you still need to add the correct amount of priming sugar to achieve the co2 volume that you want right before bottling. Sugar added during the boil is meant to up the gravity and keep the beer dry.

OofC_Zer0 said:

You still need to add priming sugar prior to bottling or you will be left with tasty but flat beer :mug:

Not uncommon for recipes to not mention priming sugars since carbonation can be done different ways, bottle conditioned or force carb. Some will specify how many volumes of CO2 at a given temperature to shoot for. You can bottle condition with different sugars, corn sugar etc is pretty common for example. You will need different weights of each type based on how many volumes of CO2 you want, temp, and what volume of beer you are bottling up. BJCP guidelines are a good reference for carbonation levels for different styles. There are online calculators for priming too.

Thank you to the last two replies, the other responder obviously was not understanding my question. I obviously understand that it is not priming if its before the boil, but it was still adding sugar, and i was trying to figure out if that was too early for it to carbonate the beer later (thats when the recipe told me to add the sugar). So the answer to my question was, that you need to add a priming sugar of some type right before bottling regardless of what the recipe says. Thank you

I did tell you exactly that. Twice. When I said priming sugar is added to the fermented & cleared beer before bottling,it meant that priming is done right before bottling. What's not to understand??

I obviously understand that, i was asking if i needed to add something that wasnt on the recipe or if some beers would just carbonate themselves. i dont need you to tell me one more time that PRIMING sugar is added BEFORE bottling. That does not tell me what i need to do for the two beers that im working on currently

I obviously understand that, i was asking if i needed to add something that wasnt on the recipe or if some beers would just carbonate themselves. i dont need you to tell me one more time that PRIMING sugar is added BEFORE bottling. That does not tell me what i need to do for the two beers that im working on currently

Ok,I went back & re-read your original post. You did it right with the 1st kit,adding it before bottling. If the clone directions said to add it to the boil,then it's not priming sugar,but another addition of fermentables. you'd still need to add more dextrose to prime it when bottling. So my answers basically hold true. It's just a matter of terminology. A boil addition of sugar is a fermentable addition for the recipe. Priming is for carbonation.

Thats what i wanted to know, because basically my knowledge of any recipe whether it be brewing or food, is that you follow it. Unless you want to change the outcome. So the last two that i have done have not said anything about priming. But one still had the sugar. I was just trying to sort it all out. So basically it comes down to, you need to prime your beer(be it, conditiong tablets, corn sugar, maple syrup, table sugar etc.) before bottling whether or not you recipe says to. Thank you again for all the help!! :mug: Cheers!

It's cool man. I was starting to get the feeling that this was another one of those "inaccurate instruction" cases. I've had vague ones that were generic to the level of kit,not the particular one. Others that read like stereo instructions,what do you want to know? Then the ever popular 1 week primary,2 week secondary,1 week bottle routine. They really need to get real with their customers.

Yes most of the Kit Instructions leave a new brewer at a loss. at least the few that i have brewed. but thankfully I fount HBT and have learned a lot from reading. So far as I know there is no beer that dos not need Priming sugar IF you are going to bottle carb.

Latest posts

Back