priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right now i use corn sugar for priming just wondering is it more ideal to use unfermented wort over the sugar and if so how much should one set a side

It is based on a lot of preference. I usually prime with corn sugar (dextrose) before I bottle. Some people use dry malt extract, there are other sugars and fermentable that can be used, but those are the most common. There are already quite a few threads that discuss the differences. Some distinctions are the mouth feel of the carbonation that each produce... Do a search and you'll find a lot of information.

i find dme to taste better when the beer is green. i despise the taste of corn sugar.

There's also argument that you'll get smaller bubbles with dme, which in my experience is true, but there are some here who will disagree with me.

there is no corn sugar allowed in my beer anymore

I used the Cooper's carb drops and they do a real good job.

CollinsBrew said:
Can corn sugar used for priming be purchased at a grocery store? Is it not the same as powdered confectioning sugar?
Not the same thing. I've only found corn sugar through the HBS. Others may have differing thoughts.

Back