Priming with corn sugar and DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezman

Reaction score
Does anyone prime with 50% corn sugar and 50% DME? Is there any reason not to do this? Is there any possible benefit to doing this? The thought occured to me this afternoon thinking that your carbonation would come up faster but you'd still get to keep some of the malty goodness of using DME.

Just a thought. :)

I still thing half the point of kegging is so you do not have to add sugar for priming. It's all done by the CO2 gas.

So why add the DME or the sugar to the mix?

IGOR

Who says he's kegging? :confused:

Personally, sounds like too much work. I'm skeptical that you can tell much difference between beer primed with DME and that primed with corn sugar. You're adding hardly anything to the fermentables (I think the math worked out to an addition of 0.002 to the gravity, not enough where I suspect you could really detect a lot of extra "maltiness" (unless your palatte is a LOT more well-developed than mine, which is not improbable by any means).

Yeah, sorry I didn't specify. I bottle. In the future I'll get to kegging, but that's still in the distant future.

Maybe I should do a taste test to determine which, if either, tastes better, corn sugar or DME. Yes...yes...I think I'll experiment...

Back