Priming the Party Pig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrohog

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently purchased my own party pig. I'm getting ready to bottle/keg. I know to use less sugar with the pig because the directions say, "Add finishing sugar (ideally 1/4 to 1/3 cup of corn sugar) to obtain desired level of carbonation." However, should I add that sugar to some boiled water and then pour the water in? Or should I just dump the sugar directly into the pig?

From what I understand, the party pig holds 2.25 gallons of beer.

What you want to do is use 1/3 cup priming sugar for the entire 5 gallons of your beer.

You definitely want to put the sugar into a pint of water and boil it for 10 minutes.

Add the priming sugar pint of water to the 5 gallons of beer. You'll probably want to put the sugar water into a sanitized bucket and siphon the 5 gallons of beer into the bucket. Then transfer out of the bucket into your 2 party pigs.

Good luck!

I was planning on putting 2.25 gal into the pig and bottleing the rest. Are you sure the 1/3 cup is supposed to be for the entire 5 gal?

I usually use 3/4 cup for 5 gallons.

I would prime in the bottling bucket, then fill the pig and bottles. That way you get the appropriate amount of sugar per gallon in both the pig and the bottles.

Back