Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Is there any difference between adding priming sugar directly into the bottling bucket compared to heating it up with warm water letting it cool and then adding it to the bottling bucket.

~RDWHAHB~

there are two purposes to boiling priming sugar before adding it to the bucket.
first, it is much easier to get it dissolved in boiling water than room temperature water. because of this, it's easier and quicker to get sugar water evenly distributed in the beer than it is to stir and stir and stir to get the granulated sugar dissolved and distributed evenly. this helps ensure the carbonation is the same for every bottle.

second, and a smaller point, really, it that boiling kills any other micro organisms that may be present. this is kinda moot if you're using a freshly opened package, but gives peace of mind.

Yes. It's a lot harder to mix in in it's raw state. Plus all that stirring would oxygenate the beer. O2 at that point makes for moldy cardboard tasting beer.

Thx guys. I've been brewing for a while and on my last batch it struck me and I thought about it. Ya know, one of those "why do we do this" moments.

Thx again.

~RDWHAHB~

Yes. It's a lot harder to mix in in it's raw state. Plus all that stirring would oxygenate the beer. O2 at that point makes for moldy cardboard tasting beer.

^ This is why I heat up the water for my priming solution. Microbes don't really live on sugar (no water, no nutrients = hostile place for bugs), but sugar dissolves really easily in hot water. I heat the water and sugar to about 160° while dissolving it, which would pasteurize it anyway, but I don't worry much about boiling it anymore.

Word man. Dry sugar isn't all that hospitable to microbes,etc. Just keep it sealed well. And at least 160F water will do the trick. I boil it a couple quick minutes anyway,besides now using spring water.

I just put a cup or 2 of water in the mic for 2 min and add the sugar. Dissolves and blends nicely in the beer.

~RDWHAHB~

I boil the water before adding the priming sugar. Sanitizing the kettle and yes, the sugar dissolves faster and mixes with the beer in the bottling bucket more evenly.

Back