Priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So I'm looking to get about 4.5 oz of priming sugar but I only have measuring cups. So what would that equate to?

4.5oz is 0.5625 cups

I use 3/4 cup corn sugar for 5 gallons. Boil a cup of water and dissolve sugar into water.
Put that into your bottling bucket with your wort.

If possible, pick up a small digital scale. You can get them for less than 20 bucks at any Walmart or equivalent large chain. It will be invaluable whenever you want to tweak recipes or instances like the one you mentioned. Granted I know that doesn't help with what you were asking, but if you plan to brew a lot and want to mimic your last brew exactly or change it by little bits, it's a great tool to have.

Hi all
Im coming into my 2nd week of a coopers stout kit and looking at racking it to a keg, my question is what to prime it with?
Im going for 8oz of lactose
And 4oz of ..... <
Should I use :
table sugar
Corn sugar
Golden syrup
Molasses
Spray malts ( chocolate , dark, light )
Any suggestions would be great. Its my first stout and had a little taste tonight just to check the progress as it fermenting in a open bucket.
It needs something.! Im a big Guinness/milk stout fan so looking for a taste of something in that region.
Tia

Can't go wrong with corn sugar, most of the flavor is already there. From what I've been reading on here, priming sugars don't really add much of a flavor. But I'm definitely not an expert on that. You could try maybe brown sugar?

Ok thanks for that, table sugar it is. Another thing is, will this not boost the alcohol content?
Yeast eats sugar produces alcohol + Co and carbonates !?

hunter006 said:
Ok thanks for that, table sugar it is. Another thing is, will this not boost the alcohol content?
Yeast eats sugar produces alcohol + Co and carbonates !?

A very very small amount. Nothing that will really change your abv.

Back