priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesd25

Reaction score
im going to bottle my second batch today and im using the priming sugar that came with the kit. I used the tabs the first batch i did and it was super easy. My question is do i add all the sugar once i transfer the beer to the bottling bucket? And are their and tips/tricks to doing this? Thank!

I like to go to tastybrew's priming calculator and use that my beers come out with the perfect amount of carbonation

All u really have to do is boil priming sugar with about a cup of water for about 10 min, let it cool for ten, add to bottom of bottling bucket, and siphon on top where it creates a natural stir to mix it without oxidizing it to much, at end give it a very gentle stir with a sanitized spoon to ensure it mixed evenly and bottle

Cheers!

You need to dissolve the sugar in water first. Boil about a cup of water and dissolve the sugar in that. Let it cool down then pour it in your bottling bucket. Rack your beer on top of it, it will mix during racking. Then bottle away.

Agreed with the above except I dissolve the sugar in two cups of boiling water. No reason except for that's what John Palmer told me to do ;)

www.howtobrew.com end of the first section on priming and bottling.

You will want to sanitize the priming sugar by gently boiling it in about a pint of water for 15 minutes with the lid on the pot. If your small sauce pan doesn't have a lid, you can carefully place tin foil over the pot after the boil. Either way, place the pot in a sink with just enough cold water in the bottom that the pot won't rock or tip over and let it chill for 10-15 minutes. Take this time to sanitize your bottling bucket. Once the bucket is sanitized and the sugar water has had a chance to cool down a bit, put the sugar water in the bucket first and then gently rack your beer on top of it.

The 5 ounces of priming sugar are typical of a 5 gallon batch. 1oz per gallon. There are priming calculators like this one; http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
So you could just mix the priming sugar with 2C of boiled water & let it cool a bit before adding to the bottling bucket. Or prime to style with the calculator. No need to boil the sugar at all. It's dry & nasties need moisture & air with that to survive. Pateurization happens at 162F. so boiling being 212F,it'll take seconds to pasteurize. I let it cool with a lid on it till ready to prime the bincoming beer in the bottling bucket.

Back