Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshtorres28

Reaction score
I brewed a rasberry wheat over the weekend, I added a extra pound of dme to raise the abv. When I topped off the pot to get my 5 gallons I put to much and got 5 1/2 gallons do I need more priming sugar than the 3/4 cup to get proper carbonation?

You should be fine with 3/4 of a cup. The volume that is important is the amount in your bottling bucket, not your primary fermenter.

If you were going to use 3/4 cup for 5 gallons, then you would use (5.5 / 5)*.75 = .825 cup.

This shows why many prefer to measure their sugar by weight, not volume. Tough to measure 0.825 cups of anything. Try visiting Tastybrew and play with the priming calculator.

Cheers!

I would leave it as is. You won't be able to tell the tiny difference in volumes in the end.

djfriesen said:
I would leave it as is. You won't be able to tell the tiny difference in volumes in the end.

So I should be fine using 3/4 cup even if I want to use the full 5 1/2 gallons?

You're worrying about this way too soon. There will be a loss of some volume when transferring after fermentation. Just because you have 5.5 gallons now doesn't mean you'll be bottling that same amount. What matters is what you end up with at bottling time.

Back