Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
How much priming sugar do you add to a 5gallon keg? Do I need to mix with water and boil it down?

If you are naturally carbonating in the keg at room temp, you need to add about 1/3 to1/2 the amount you normally would add to bottles. So about 2-2.5oz of priming sugar to get the typical 2.2-2.5 atmospheres you would for a typical ale, more or less for highly carbonated or lower carbonated styles.

Boil to dissolve and sanatize the priming sugar just like you would for bottles. Cool it down to about 70-80F, then add it to the bottom of the corny keg and rack your beer on top.

You then still need to seat your corny keg top with a blast of 30PSI CO2 from your tank, purge the small bit of oxygen, check for leaks, and if all's good, throw the keg into an interior closet or anywhere with a stable temp as close to 70F as possible, carb and condition for about 3 weeks for an average OG beer (over about 1.05-1.06 takes proportionally longer). At that point, it's just like a bottle.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. The recipe I am using calls to prime it and let at room temperature for 3-4 days then move to fridge for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the responses. The recipe I am using calls to prime it and let at room temperature for 3-4 days then move to fridge for 2 weeks.

It might take a lot longer than 3-4 days to carb up! Just like with bottles, it can take a week or two or even longer. I wouldn't put it in the fridge until it was completely carbed up.

Back