Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MomsBrewing

Reaction score
My first couple of batches were Brewers Best kits and the instructions said to boil like a cup of water and dissolve the priming sugar. When I look at recipes they do not have that instruction, just the amount of priming sugar/DME. I have always dissolved the priming sugar or DME in boiled water before bottling even if the recipe doesn't say to. Is this correct or no?

Yes, boil in a cup of water. Your goal is to get the sugar to dissolve and to integrate evenly in the bulk beer. If you just dumped the sugar in, you wouldn't get that.

yes this is correct. You dont want sugar that hasnt been boiled going into your bottles. It would be a feeding ground for bugs.

Since were on the subject....
(Not trying to highjack) Figure you got a quick reply....
I'm about to keg my first batch in a 3 gallon keg and bottle the rest. How would I know how much Psugar to put in the remaining Stout? Or is there a site that would help me figure this out so I don't over prime in the bottles.
Thanks!

Wingnutj said:
Since were on the subject....
(Not trying to highjack) Figure you got a quick reply....
I'm about to keg my first batch in a 3 gallon keg and bottle the rest. How would I know how much Psugar to put in the remaining Stout? Or is there a site that would help me figure this out so I don't over prime in the bottles.
Thanks!

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

OMG! Thanks so much! My buddy told me about this... totally forgot about it!
HBT is the best at getting the answers!

Thanks again on the quick reply!

Back