Priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcoklahoma

Reaction score
Is it an ABSOLUTE necessity to use corn sugar for priming? I know corn sugar is best... but the local brew shop down the road isnt open today :( and Id like to bottle a sample, can I use normal table sugar?

Just use regular table sugar. I have been using table (cane) sugar exclusively for years. You typically use a little bit less than you would corn sugar. If you have a scale, I recommend using this calculator although I have noticed for a couple of the beers on there that I feel like the carbonation levels are wrong, so I adjust.

Despite what anyone tells you, you absolutely cannot tell the difference between beer primed with corn, and beer primed with cane sugar.

Stellar... next question, when I add the sugar, do I let it sit for a few more days in the bucket or should I just add like 1/4 tspn to each bottle or something?

Priming sugar is only used for bottling, correct? If you have a kegging system, does priming sugar serve any purpose?

Also to the OP...I heard if you boil the sugar in water you can break down the normal table sugar to a more usable solution that is closer to corn syrup. YouTube "good eats brewing beer", and watch the second video of amber waves. He says how to do it.

Priming sugar is only used for bottling, correct? If you have a kegging system, does priming sugar serve any purpose?

You can prime your kegs just like bottles. We prime our kegs and let them sit a few weeks to carbonate. You use half the amount of priming sugar for keg. We have a large enough pipeline that we keg several weeks or months before the beer is needed so priming works very well for us.

You can prime your kegs just like bottles. We prime our kegs and let them sit a few weeks to carbonate. You use half the amount of priming sugar for keg. We have a large enough pipeline that we keg several weeks or months before the beer is needed so priming works very well for us.

You mean as opposed to using CO2? So I guess you only use a small amount of Co2 to dispense, and not for the actual carbonation (sorry...uber newb here)

Stellar... next question, when I add the sugar, do I let it sit for a few more days in the bucket or should I just add like 1/4 tspn to each bottle or something?
No.

Mix up a solution (roughly 5 ounces sugar, water to mix, for 5 gallons beer). Boil to sanitize, add to bottling bucket (not the fermenting bucket). Siphon the beer on top, swirl GENTLY to mix. Bottle and cap immediately. Let sit for three weeks at room temps, then fridge a few to try.

Back