priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The same way as an extract or PM batch- to dissolve the sugar in about 2 cups water, put that in the bottling bucket and rack the beer into it, "swirling" it to thoroughly mix it up.

dont you have to bowl the sugar........... this is my first time so could you give me a step by step on the process

dont you have to bowl the sugar........... this is my first time so could you give me a step by step on the process

You boil 2 cups of water. Add 4 ounces (by weight) of priming sugar. Dissolve. Add it to the bottling bucket. Rack the beer into this mixture, with the tip at the very bottom, so it "swirls" into the beer.
http://www.howtobrew.com/images/f64.jpg

Use a bottling wand, in the spigot of the bottling bucket, so that it doesn't foam or aerate but the bottles are filled when you press the bottle into the wand.

Also, see here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Put 2 cups of water in a pan and add 4-5 ounces of dextrose, boil for 5 or 10 minutes. Pour simple syrup (water+sugar) into bottling bucket and rack beer into bottling bucket. (Optional: give a gentle stir with sanitized spoon.) Bottle beer.

Face the east. Raise the cauldron of priming sugar which you have already boiled in a small amount of water.

Intone thusly: "Hear me, beer gods, for I am about to rack the sacred libation!"

[check the spigot]
"Verily, the spigot of the dispensation is closed, even unto the CLOSED position. I have checked it once, twice, thrice!"

[pour priming liquid into bottom of bucket]
"I cover the bottom of my bucket chakra with the prime, as it has been written. I have the knowing, I have read the holy forum. Honor my desires."

[siphon the beer onto the priming liquid]
"Flow! Flow quickly and without aeration! Release a protecitve shroud of CO2 that will protect us from the evils of oxidation!"

[put the lid on the bottling bucket]
"I have sealed you off in a sanitary vessel from the perils of the air, the birds of the sky, and the wandering junebugs."

Well, at that's how we do it where I live. Stop looking at me so funny.

I think it is important for the beginner to do a dry run in ceremonial gear before trying this with real beer. You don't want to run a bucketfull by dragging the hem of your robe through it. The old goat's blood on the hem would certainly contaminate the beer.

93. j/k

Back