Priming sugar when using fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratstud00

Reaction score
I made a wheat beer using an extract recipe (I can post the recipe if it becomes relevant to the question). I'm using blueberry purée in the secondary for a few weeks, and then plan on adding a little extract at bottling to get the flavor to where I want it. Question is, do I need to adjust my priming sugar calculation based on sugars left from the purée and/or sugar in the extract? The last fruit beer I made turned out way over carbed

I've made a number of beers with fruit added. As long as you let any sugars from the fruit/puree ferment out (I usually do 7-10 days) you do not have to adjust priming sugar calculations. All the sugars will already be fermented out by the yeast

Im guessing your last one turned out overcarbed due to not giving the yeast enough time to finish, unevenly distributed priming sugar, or mis-measured/calculated priming sugar amounts

M00ps is spot on with the sugar.

Treat your fruit addition as a completely separate fermentation. Pull gravity samples just like you normally would.

As long as it all ferments out, you do not need to adjust your priming sugar.

Back