Priming Sugar??? What to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerArchitect54

Reaction score
Last night I bottled my first Batch of Canadian Draft from my Mr. Beer keg! It tasted like a nice flat beer.. Not sweet.. I used the 1 liter bottles that came with the kit. I added 2 1/2 tsp. of Superfine Pure Cane Sugar like the directions called for! I looked high and low for Corn Sugar until i read that you can buy that in a regular store.

What is the best Sugar to use??? Will I be ok with the Pure Cane???

Thanks!

Table sugar probably can be used for priming bottles since the amount is very small. Generally, dextrose (corn sugar) is used when sugar is called for since table sugar tends to lead to a cidery taste in beers. I've heard you can buy dextrose at health food stores if you don't have a local homebrew store in your area. You can order dextrose from any of the online stores too.

Generally, dextrose (corn sugar) is used when sugar is called for since table sugar tends to lead to a cidery taste in beers.

Brewing myth, at least, unless ~25%+ of your sugars are sucrose. Adding 3/4cups of sucrose to 5 gallons of beer won't make anything cidery.

I hope I dont get a cidery taste... The directions from Mr. Beer called for 2 1/2 Tsp. of white granulated sugar. I used Pure Cane Sugar.... Do you think I will be alright????

Brewing myth, at least, unless ~25%+ of your sugars are sucrose. Adding 3/4cups of sucrose to 5 gallons of beer won't make anything cidery.

Should have clarified. I was speaking about adding table sugar in large quantity to the brew itself, not priming. :eek:

You're fine. I have used table sugar a couple of times when I was out of corn sugar. I plan to use only tabke sugar in the future when the corn sugar is used up.

you can use quite a number of simple sugars for priming. Corn sugar (dextrose), cane sugar, beet sugar, and malt extract or unfermented wort, are common relatively easy to use ones. Honey, maple syrup, molasses, agave nectar, you name it are possible but are harder to determine the amount to use as they may be more or less concentrated. Stay away from common powdered (confectioners) sugar though as that contains corn starch to make it more siftable.

FYI - I have found dextrose pretty cheap at ButcherPacker.com. They have it with their sausage making stuff.

What about the simple carb tabs (mouton's)? The idea seems simple. Is there a quality issue?

I use local honey. For 5 gal. 3/4 cup = 1lb.. Priming I use 1/4 cup honey disolved in water. I boil the honey and water in the microwave for several minutes, let it cool a bit then add it to the bottom of my bottle bucket. Siphon beer to bottle bucket and bottle as usual.

Back