Priming sugar to beer bottled from keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therackman

Reaction score
I've been trying to bottle from my keg but am not satisfied with the carbonation levels I'm retaining from these bottles. Would there be any downside to adding some priming sugar to each bottle to let the yeasties do their work and carbonate these bottles? I'm working with a 9% abv Russian imperial stout that I want to age some of the bottles for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How is the beer straight from the keg? Satisfactory? Are you losing co2 in the bottling process? What is your process to fill the bottles? A little more info would help.

The beer is amazing straight from keg with good carbonation. I am using a bottling wand with spring tip taken off and a drilled #2 stopper attached to faucet with a growler filling hose. I fill then cap with O2 absorbing caps after giving a turn sideways with thumb over cap to purge O2. I get very little foaming when filling the chilled bottles but they still come out flat in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's important to cap on the foam to ensure the pressure stays in the bottle, if your not doing that you're losing co2 to the headspace in the bottle. Let a bit of foam run out and over and then immediately cap, results should be better.

Sent from the Commune

I'd be worried about consistency with adding sugar. You don't know how much CO2 you'll lose in each bottle... it will likely vary quite a bit from one to the next.

You should be pressurizing the bottles when filling. A counter pressure bottle filler is the right way to ensure you aren't losing CO2. Chilling the bottles first also helps.

Back