Priming sugar substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osoling

Reaction score
Hey all,

I forgot to get priming sugar when I bought ingredients from the LHBS. Is there something form the grocery that will do the same job? If there's something that will do just as good of a job, I'll get it. If there are substitutes that will make a poor substitute but will work, I'll just drive the long drive to the brew shop to get priming sugar. Your thoughts?

I'm a nutshell... I'm looking for a replacement for priming sugar that I can get at the grocery.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Table sugar works perfectly. Use the same amount by weight as you would if you had dextrose (priming sugar).

Thanks for the good advice. Another thing I can do is go to the cabinet and check to see if I actually got it. Because I did, and I'm an idiot and forgot!

I love this forum. People are always ready to help!

THANK YOU!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Definitely table sugar. "Priming Sugar" has got to be one of the biggest gimmicks in the homebrew industry! Table sugar works just as well if not better, requires less, and costs significantly less.

EDIT: I see above someone said to use the same amount of table sugar as corn (priming) sugar… this is not correct. Northern brewer has a bottle priming sugar calculator on their website that is excellent. I highly recommend that you use that to determine the correct amount of table sugar to use, it is not the same as corn sugar.

EDIT: I see above someone said to use the same amount of table sugar as corn (priming) sugar… this is not correct. Northern brewer has a bottle priming sugar calculator on their website that is excellent. I highly recommend that you use that to determine the correct amount of table sugar to use, it is not the same as corn sugar.

The difference is small for a 5 gallon or less batch, but this is true. Honestly, I probably wouldn't sweat it but if you are targeting a specific level of CO2 you could dial it in with a priming calc like glick mentioned.

I buy dextrose from the bulk food store at a good enough price. I find it dissolves somewhat more readily than regular granulated sugar. End results are the same. Do not buy at LHBS, their prices on it puts the BS in the title.

Back