Priming sugar in primary? Really?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
Do you guys do that? It would be nice saving a step and avoid exposing the beer to oxygen and potential infection risk.

I wonder if I can mix priming sugar, stir, how long can I wait until the trub settle at the bottom again before bottling..

You're exposing your beer to oxygen and potential infection risk by stirring.

I do this every time I bottle. I pour the priming sugar/water mix into the primary and very gently stir with a sanitized spoon. Then I give it about 15 minutes for the solution to really have time to spread throughout the bucket and for the minimal amount of trub that gets kicked up to settle back down. I've never had an issue with inconsistent carbonation throughout a batch.

Been there and done that. There is grub to contend with so the stir must be gentle and time given to allow things to settle down. Even then it is not till you get to the last gallon of beer that it is a problem if you keep the siphon it the top 2 inches of liquid. But I will admit I now siphon to a second container and add the priming sugar then. This way you will only have trub in one final bottle, and I drink it first to see how the beer is carbonating and for testing purposes, i.e. I'm too damned curiuos for my own good!:)

Honestly, you want to rack your beer off the yeast cake/trub before adding the priming sugar and bottling. If you are concerned about not having the proper amount of beer in bottles, increase your recipe by 1/2 gallon. You aren't really serving yourself any good by trying to stir your beer while in primary.

I've tried priming directly in the bottles before with the dual goals of priming more consistently (I was having issues with priming syrup not distributing throughout the bottling bucket, which have been reduced by ensuring I boil the priming sugar in water, rather than just mixing it with boiling water from an electric kettle) and saving time by bottling directly from primary. I did one batch with sugar measured on a scale that measures to tenths of a gram and another where I boiled a sugar solution, calculated the OG, and used a sterilized syringe to add it to the bottles. Both methods ended up taking just as long as using a bottling bucket and were more labor-intensive, and the batch that was primed with dry sugar in the bottles developed an infection to boot.

I know that's not exactly what you're suggesting, but I decided after those two experiments that bottling from the primary wasn't worth it and went back to a bottling bucket. I guess my point in writing this response is to say that I tried two fairly harebrained methods of bottling from primary and completely skipped what you're suggesting because it seemed too silly even by my standards - since you're waiting for the trub to settle out again (presumably minutes, as hours or days would likely have the sugar fermenting out before you bottle), you're not really saving any time versus a bottling bucket, and you're almost definitely going to have more trub in some, if not all of your bottles this way.

I agree. After starting with Cooper's carb drops From primary, I decided that bulk priming in a bottling bucket gave the least amount of trub in the bottles. Not to mention still being fairly quick, & definitely easy.

Back