Priming sugar in a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, in his own special way, HB99 is telling you it's not the best idea to use pure sugar for a starter because the yeast gets used to having it easy and may not perform as well in the real wort.

freeballer said:
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll stop being a cheap-a$$ and just follow the instructions on the kit.

how much are you using? 1/2 c in 1.5 qt h20 is all you need.

if you buy 3 lbs for 11 bucks or so, that will make you about 12 starters
that's less than a dollar a starter

Bjorn Borg said:
how much are you using? 1/2 c in 1.5 qt h20 is all you need.

if you buy 3 lbs for 11 bucks or so, that will make you about 12 starters
that's less than a dollar a starter
Yeah, see, that's right up your alley - cheap!:D

I know you were placing the emphasis on the entire purchase. I don't even think about it anymore. I just know what I want/need and get it I'm going to pay. I usually buy 110# of DME at a time.:D

El^Diablo said:
what about using light liquid extract for a primer? would it work as well as dme or worse?

That's a good question, and one I've wondered about myself. I think DME is recommended because it's easier to stir in than LME without scorching, becuase you're dealing with such a small volume of water. Plus, it's more expensive and less concentrated than LME.

Not sure if those are the exact reasons, but those are some I can think of. I bet you could make a starter with LME, as long as you are damned careful not to let any settle to the bottom and scorch, and you use a little more that what recommended for LME.

homebrewer_99 said:
However, would you use helium or nitrogen to pump up your tires?
Everything has a purpose.:D

Actually, to jump in and play my role as smart a$$ rookie; some tire retailers currently recommend inflating your tires with nitrogen. AFAIK it's because it doesn't "leak" back out through the rubber as bad as air, it doesn't cause oxidation between the tire and wheel, and something else...............oh well, no one really cares!

:off:

brehm21 said:
Actually, to jump in and play my role as smart a$$ rookie; some tire retailers currently recommend inflating your tires with nitrogen. AFAIK it's because it doesn't "leak" back out through the rubber as bad as air, it doesn't cause oxidation between the tire and wheel, and something else...............oh well, no one really cares!

:off:
I care! I thought that was intereseting...and I was only trying to use it as an example...fooled myself this time!:D ...now where do I find a nitrogen air pump?

El^Diablo said:
what about using light liquid extract for a primer? would it work as well as dme or worse?
It'll work just as well but DME is much easier to deal with. Measuring it out dry and re-sealing the rest of the bag is a doddle compared to LME which is much messier and a real pain to measure and clean up!:D

homebrewer_99 said:
...now where do I find a nitrogen air pump?

Ask Cheyco's avatar- Looks like she knows!

Aircraft use nitrogen. The pilots claim it doesn't expand when hot as much as air does, but my understanding of gas laws is that they all behave the same. I think the larger molecules of nitrogen at 300psi are what makes the advantage. Even though air is 80% nitrogen. Perhaps oxidation of the tire also happens faster at 300 psi?

Makes me wonder about over-oxygenation of wort? You will get some oxidation in the wort, but I wonder of what? What is the ingredient most likely to oxidise? I suppose the yeasties will actively absorb some, but what is next most likely? Good or bad for beer?

Latest posts

Back