Priming Sugar for aged RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosgcm5

Reaction score
So my first real BIG beer is coming to an end soon, it's a 1.099 OG all-grain RIS. Primary for 5 weeks, secondary for 10 more weeks, finished at 1.027 and I'm leaning towards bottling it this week or next. It's a 5-gallon batch that I'd like to have at around 2.3 volumes of carbonation.

My question is this, Beersmith calculates that I'll need 3.97 oz. of corn sugar to achieve this level of carbonation. After the long rest, and the high alcohol content, does my yeast have enough left in them to achieve the desired carbonation level with this amount of sugar added? Or should I bump the priming sugar a little to ensure the bottles carb up with the stressed/limited number of yeast still kicking?

Cheers,
Cozzie

The issue would not be the amount of sugar when carbing but the amount of viable yeast. If you are concerned for your yeasts' health, add more at bottling.

Back