Priming sugar emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradsa

Reaction score
Just started bottling our second batch and forgot about priming sugar. We have 19l of beer to bottle and we are aiming for a pilsner type carbonation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Just use table sugar (sucrose). Use 10% less than you expected to use with the priming sugar.

You will get EXACTLY the same effect. There is no difference in the beer.

The reason for the 10% difference is because the priming sugar (which is dextrose) contains a bit of moisture that accounts for 9% of it's weight. Granular sugar doesn't contain that moisture.

You can use any sugar you've got in the house. Table sugar, brown sugar, even honey (but you'll need a little less table sugar, more honey than you would normally use of corn sugar).

See this link for info on how much to use of various sugars.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

If the beer is already in the bottling bucket, boil up the priming sugar in water as usual and then add it and stir it in GENTLY.

If you've already filled bottles, I'd open those and pour them back in GENTLY.

Try to avoid splashing/bubbling which will oxidize your beer. Good luck, RDWHAHB.

Thanks for the help all. Met up for an afternoon beer or six with my brew buddy and decided last minute to bottle our current batch and start a new one.

For our first batch we had used the priming sugar droplets that came with the kit. This was or first time doing it from scratch and we only had castor sugar available (think we ended up boiling 130 odd grams for 19l).

I will remember to make a checklist in future as when we brewed after bottling last night we almost forgot to pitch the yeast too!

Maybe next time save a few of those beers for when the brewing/bottling is done ;) I find less drunk = better beer most times. Checklists help too, though.

Back