Priming sugar directly to secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterball

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle my 2nd batch of beer and curious if I can just add the priming solution (2 cups of boiled corn sugar) directly to the secondary fermenter (5 gallon carboy), instead of transferring to a bottling bucket. I will bottle directly from my secondary using an autosiphon and bottling wand. Just thought this would prevent having to clean one more container and risk contamination through another transfer process.

I'm getting ready to bottle my 2nd batch of beer and curious if I can just add the priming solution (2 cups of boiled corn sugar) directly to the secondary fermenter (5 gallon carboy), instead of transferring to a bottling bucket. I will bottle directly from my secondary using an autosiphon and bottling wand. Just thought this would prevent having to clean one more container and risk contamination through another transfer process.

You could.............but then you're defeating the purpose of the clearing vessel ("secondary") by stirring it up again when you add the priming solution.

The whole point of the secondary is for clearing, allowing trub and excess particles in suspension to fall out. If you add the priming solution, and stir it up, you risk oxidizing the beer as well as stirring up all the crud that you just spent two weeks clearing.

I'd either skip the secondary completely and then rack once to a bottling bucket, or if using a secondary, rack to a bottling bucket.

also i'm not clear...you used 2 cups of corn sugar? or you used corn sugar to make 2 cups of sugar solution?
either way you should only need like 1 cup of water plus the 4-5oz of sugar to make priming solution.

the more water you add, the more you thin the body of your beer, so keep it minimal.

malkore said:
also i'm not clear...you used 2 cups of corn sugar? or you used corn sugar to make 2 cups of sugar solution?
either way you should only need like 1 cup of water plus the 4-5oz of sugar to make priming solution.

the more water you add, the more you thin the body of your beer, so keep it minimal.

Thanks. Yes, only 3/4 cup corn sugar. I'm also adding 4 oz of lactose. Would you just combine the corn sugar and lactose and boil in 1 cup water?

Back