Priming sugar confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inturnldemize

Reaction score
Alright so i've checked 3 different sites with calculators and all 3 gave me different amounts of priming sugar to use. Maybe you guys can help me make my decision. If you need more info, let me know! Thx

By the way, i'm using regular DME (Light golden) for the priming NOT corn sugar.

OG - 1.05
FG - 1.008
Style: IPA
Temperature: During the first 2-3 days my temperature was 23-24 degrees celcius. Since the 4-5 days its been at a constant 20-21 degrees celcius.
Yeast used: Nottingham Dry Ale

Some of the confusion comes from the fact that there is a general range per style category and the temp has a slight effect on the amount required.

For the style IPA you want an average of about 2.0 or so Vol of CO2. When I plugged your numbers in I got approximately 29.9Grams of DME which also calculated out to about 4.7 oz which seems about right to me.

Keep in mind DME usually takes longer to properly carbonate a beer than priming sugar.

Hope this helps!

+1 to duboman.

The recipe calls for 1 1/4 cup of DME. However I was told that by weight is better than by volume.

By the way, I brewed a 5 gallon batch, but after my hydro readings, I should be at 4.9-4.8 gallons now.

From the calculator on Northern Brewer's website:

Desired Volume of CO2: 2.4

Current temperature of beer (F): 69.8

Volume of beer (in Gallons): 4.9

DME – All varieties Grams 156.41 ounces 5.52 cups 0.95

Weight is better than volume because it doesn't change if the dme is loose or packed in tight as it might in a cup.

Man, i'm getting different opinions on this forum as well lol. 0.95 cups is way off of the 1 1/4 cups the recipe called for. Also, 5.5 ounces is very different than the 4.7 ounces duboman suggested. I really don't want bottle bombs, especially in a condo!

By the way this is IPA recipe from Charles Papazian The Joy of Homebrewing.

inturnldemize said:
Man, i'm getting different opinions on this forum as well lol. 0.95 cups is way off of the 1 1/4 cups the recipe called for. Also, 5.5 ounces is very different than the 4.7 ounces duboman suggested. I really don't want bottle bombs, especially in a condo!

By the way this is IPA recipe from Charles Papazian The Joy of Homebrewing.

I stand by my calculation:)

Why do people use DME to prime? Is it because they are out of corn sugar? Or is it because they don't realize that regular white table sugar you put in your coffee works just the same? I use table sugar 3-5 oz per 5 gal batch depending on style and have perfect bottle carbed beer every time.

The last few IPA kits I bought all contained 6 oz of priming sugar. One of a different style contained 4 oz.. so, I am guessing that the sugar packages are designed for the particular brew. All 5 gallon kits. It does seem much.. but, I have to say, one of the last batches I brewed, I used a 4 oz instead of the 6 oz.. and that IPA was way under carbed. At this point, I don't know how to substitute DME for CS... Time for a search..

I'm pretty much going to keg now.. so, it's not the same issue.. :)

OP, I would submit that 5.5 ounces is not THAT different than 4.7 ounces... at least, not enough to end up with bottle bombs.

You're talking about roughly 20% difference. If your target CO2 volume is 2.0, and you overcarb by 20%, you end up with 2.4 volumes.

For my money, 2.0 is fairly flat beer. :) You mileage may vary.

So if I understand properly, whether I use 4.7oz or 5.5oz, the only difference would be more carbonation, no bottle bombs? How much would I need to go over before I get bottle bombs?

Why do people use DME to prime? Is it because they are out of corn sugar? Or is it because they don't realize that regular white table sugar you put in your coffee works just the same? I use table sugar 3-5 oz per 5 gal batch depending on style and have perfect bottle carbed beer every time.

I use DME for priming because it gets me a better product, no other reason. I used corn sugar when I started brewing, but quickly became displeased with the results. I tried table sugar, better but not much. Tried DME and was sold. Takes a bit longer to ferment out, but the beer is much better for it. Better head, retention, and it really makes a difference in lighter beers; no more of that thin, corn sugar-y finish.
Corn sugar still has a place in my brewing process, just not as a priming sugar.

OP, not sure if you tried this priming calc yet, but it's the one I use. I always go for the middle to high side of the style and really like the results.

including all the priming sugar that comes with a kit is a great way to get overcarbed beer

So if I understand properly, whether I use 4.7oz or 5.5oz, the only difference would be more carbonation, no bottle bombs? How much would I need to go over before I get bottle bombs?
i've gone as high as 5 ounces sucrose...equal to 7.5 ounces DME. came out great. but generally i go on the lower end to avoid the metallic taste of overcarbonation

Back