Priming Mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dRaPP

Reaction score
I bottled a small (2 gal) batch of beer today and think I made a mistake. I used http://www.makebeerathome.info/online-beer-calculator/bottle-priming this site to calculated the amount of priming sugar I needed. It said use 2 ounces of cane sugar and, like the idiot I am, I thought it meant fl. oz. so I converted to tablespoons and added 4 tablespoons of sugar.

So obviously the site meant ounces as a measure of weight, not volume, so my question is, are my bottles going to explode or not be carbed enough? Anyone know how many oz. I actually added?

Wow what a relief. I was worried I'd have my first bottle explosion disaster (knock on wood). It shouldn't matter that its slightly under carbed, it was my last Mr. Beer extract and I was kind of experimenting with using fresh clementine peels in the boil so who knows how it'll turn out... Thanks for the help.

Wouldn't using whole peels in the boil add off flavors with the pith? I'm new to brewing, but most people on the forums seem to recommend using just the zest in a secondary. I'm not sure, but maybe someone with experience using fruits could comment.

Yeah I was worried about that too but my brewing partner insisted on it. We're both new to it but he was pretty persistant with "Nah man, we're boiling it so it'll be fine." It was boiled for about 3 minutes and steeped after that for about 10 minutes. It definitely added a sweet citrus aroma but I'm not sure about a flavor yet (I'm new to tasting unfermented and uncarbonated beer). It'll be interesting to see what happens haha.

Back