priming mead before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcginness

Reaction score
hi

i started my first batch of mead back in november. i racked it into the secondary around the first of the year. i'm starting to think about bottling it. i would like it to be carbonated. i think 2 atmospheres is what i'm after. roughly that of a beer, as i'm using 22oz beer bottles not champagne bottles.

my question is, should i be priming it before i bottle? or will a 6-8 month aging in a bottle lead to some carbonation? i'm not super picky but i'd prefer it to not be flat as a pancake.

I've been making mead for about a year now and im asuming its completely dry because your long primary and secondary so it wont carbonate by itself, i would suggest around 2tsp of priming sugar per bottle if your looking for about 2atm (just guessing). remember with mead its very dry and has a low specific gravity so it will not maintain a head like beer will. I've used honey and Dry malt in the past to carbonate a Cyser and Malt Cider, both work moderately well but take a very long time to carbonate fully. Hope This helps! feel free to ask any more questions!

Hey everybody I've made beer from kits and wine from juices bought from the grocery store. I've never made mead. I'm looking to make something inexpensive with little work. Can I make it with just honey and water or do I have to use other ingredients

Hey everybody I've made beer from kits and wine from juices bought from the grocery store. I've never made mead. I'm looking to make something inexpensive with little work. Can I make it with just honey and water or do I have to use other ingredients

It would be more appropriate to search the forum, then post another thread, rather that hijacking a thread on a different topic. This one is about bottle priming

It would be more appropriate to search the forum, then post another thread, rather that hijacking a thread on a different topic. This one is about bottle priming

Much agreed, but yes you could do straight honey yeast and water for about 8 bucks a gallon

Back