Priming DME does not dissolve!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inturnldemize

Reaction score
HELP!

I just boiled my 5.5oz of DME for about 5-6 minutes and I realized that it hasn't completely dissolved! Is this normal or should I boil it until it is a clear liquid?! I'm bottling very shortly!!!!

Sanitize a whisk, and stir it until it has no more chunks. Put it back on the heat if you have to, to get it to dissolve. It can't be clumpy when you use it.

It's not clumpy at all, it's just like powdery. I stirred it up with the whisk and it made the liquid cloudy again. It's like the DME settles on the bottom. Normal?

It needs to dissolve. Otherwise, you're going to have a lot higher chance of uneven carbontion (hello, bottle bombs).

I've never heard of using DME for priming. Shouldn't you be using some form of sugar. Like corn sugar?

First.. Quit freaking out! haha..
It's fine! DME leaves a brown colored sedement on the bottom. It's kinda like a hot/cold break you get when you boil wort. Just stir it up good with a sanitized spoon and put it in the bottle bucket. No worries!

I've never heard of using DME for priming. Shouldn't you be using some form of sugar. Like corn sugar?

It's not the first choice for most brewers, but you can use it without any problems. Some say it preserves the taste of your beer better than corn sugar. I've used both and can't really tell a difference myself...

DME= sugar (or at least fermentables). It doesn't matter what form the sugars come in- table sugar, corn sugar, honey, DME, etc, as long as you use the correct amount. Sugar is 100% fermentable, while DME is more like 75% fermentable so you use a bit more DME. But it works the same way.

Yup, here's the pic. You can see the cloudiness/powdery at the bottom.

P1020423.jpg

I see it! It's not DME, actually. It's "break material", little blobs of protein.

Just stir it again well, and go ahead and use it and just ignore it.

Trust me- you've known me a whole five minutes. :D

No, seriously- trust us. You're good here!

Listen to Yooper! It looks normal! Heck, you don't even have to stir it for that matter. It will stir up on its own when you rack on it...

I've known you guys for a few days and I already love you! lol. So much help in this place!!!!

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back