Priming bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumpy

Reaction score
Finally made it to the world of homebrew. Entry level Coopes kit. Lager is conditioning with the use of carbonation drips.

In an effort to try and stockpile supplies I have also just brewed a batch of Morgans Amber Ale. FG was constant at 1007. Came to bottling. (PET)

After filling each bottle I primed with the recommended amount of sugar.

My question is. Should i let the sugar sit n the bottom or tilt the bottles back and forth a few times so there is no sugar gathering on the bottom of the bottle?

it won't hurt to help mix the sugar from the carbonation drops into your bottles. Personally I haven't had the best luck with the drops, but I know others on this site have used them with acceptable results.

Thanks but this is a new batch. Used the drops for the first batch. Plopped them in and didn't think anymore about it.

On the new batch It was suggested I just use normal table sugar. When i poured the measured amount into each bottle it just sinks to the bottom. Should this be mixed in a little better or just let it rest and let the yeast consume it in time?

Normally, homebrewers will take their priming sugar and boil it in a small amount of water to sanitize it, then add it to a bottling bucket and rack their beer on it to mix it then fill their bottle from there. Since you just put the sugar in the bottles, yes I'd give them a little swirl to help mix things up.

Back when I used to bottle with priming sugar I swore by Coopers Carb Drops. I love the damn things! I've never had a bad experience with them.

I think the carb drop horror stories come from the generic ones or those white tablet ones.

Instead of bottle priming, why not batch prime? Two ways to go here, priming sugar dissolved in 2 cups (475ml) boiling water. Cool down and add to primary stir gently. Let sit while you sanitise your bottles. Bottling bucket, pour priming solution into BB. Empty primary into BB (via hose). Sanitise. Bottle. Batch priming gets a more consistent prime than bottle priming does. My last Coopers kit I dissolved the drops in 2 cups of water then batch primed. I've also had problems with the carb drops. If you've already added the sugar to the bottles, gently turn them upside down to stir the sugar. Cheers.

Thanks for the responses. Too far gone for batch priming i'm afraid. I guess i'll just give them a turn to get it off the bottom and then let it settle again.

I only thought of it last night when i held a bottle up to the light and saw the sugar ganules on the bottom.

I actually did a batch of muntons YB last week and primed the bottles in the same way. I never rotated the bottles or moved the sugar from the bottles. It looks clear now (after a week in the bottle) with sediment (and probably some sugar) on the bottom.

Is it worth giving these bottles a turn/tilt upside down or just let them sit now?

I bottle prime with corn sugar and drop the sugar in before filling the bottles. After capping I turn them upside down and back gently. Gets everything mixed up and let's me know the cap is seated and not leaking. Beer has always carbed well.

Back