Priming based on anticipated loss of volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2drunk2

Reaction score
I'll be bottling an IPA this weekend. The primary is filled to just under 5.5 gallons. The OG was 1.066 and the FG is 1.010.

I am assuming that there is a healthy yeast cake down at the bottom and some trub. I also dry hopped with 3 oz of pellets. This has me wondering how much beer I'll actually get racked over to my bottling bucket.

If you had to make an educated guess (assuming there is more experience here than I have), what would you use to calculate your priming sugar? I'm guessing 4 1/2 - 4 3/4 gallons.

Honestly, I'd just calculate for the original estimated volume since the difference isn't so wildly dramatic. Say you planned for 2.5 volumes for 5g, if you wound up with 4.5g you'd have 2.7 volumes. If you got 4.25g you'd have 2.8 volumes so you'll still be good. It's not like it'd be carbed up to hefeweizen levels. Personally I'd rather have slightly overcarbed than undercarbed beer. That's just me though. If you're very concerned though you can comprise and calculate for in between.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back