Priming a keg that will allways stay at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElbowGrease

Reaction score
Most of you guys chill your keg and draft from a fridge. I have draft system for sankey that chills a beer when passing through it's chilled copper line.

Because keg will allways stay at room temperature and disolved CO2 hugely relates to temperature of the beer, I wonder how should I calculate priming shugar needed? I'm brewing Belgians, and would like to have second fermentation in keg.

I am aiming for 3.5 Vol of CO2 (7 grams/L)
It's 30L (8 Gallon) keg
Maximum temperature of fermentation is 22C/72F. So arround 0.81 Vol of CO2 stays in beer after fermentation.
What dispensing pressure I need? Regular 10-12PSI or higher?

Most of you guys chill your keg and draft from a fridge. I have draft system for sankey that chills a beer when passing through it's chilled copper line.

Because keg will allways stay at room temperature and disolved CO2 hugely relates to temperature of the beer, I wonder how should I calculate priming shugar needed? I'm brewing Belgians, and would like to have second fermentation in keg.

I am aiming for 3.5 Vol of CO2 (7 grams/L)
It's 30L (8 Gallon) keg
Maximum temperature of fermentation is 22C/72F. So arround 0.81 Vol of CO2 stays in beer after fermentation.
What dispensing pressure I need? Regular 10-12PSI or higher?

The amount of priming sugar doesn't change depending on the serving temperature. The carbonation level from a specific amount of sugar will always be the same, assuming it has a chance to get eaten by the yeasties.

To get 3.5 vol of carbonation you'd need about 11oz of priming sugar for 8 gal. FWIW 3.5 vol is very difficult to serve through a draft system without resulting in a lot of foam. You'll need a very efficient jockey box to get the beer very cold, and you'll need very long lines. You might want to consider a slightly lower carb level.

Your dispensing pressure has to match the carbonation at the temperature of the beer in the keg. This means you need to keep the beer stored somewhere with very little fluctuation in temperature. For 3.5 vol and 72°F, the serving pressure should be about 46 psi. Typically a force carbonation chart is used to determine serving pressure, but your temp and pressure are off the charts I've seen. Here's a calculator you can use to determine the pressure for other temps.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html

I just assumed it's copper. But you are right, maybe it is stainless steel. That would have more sense

I'm guessing that you are using a jockey box (cooler). If so, it is either stainless coils or an aluminum plate with stainless tubing inside for better temperature transfer.

On topic, I'm guessing you are asking for a foam problem trying to dispense 3+ vols from a warm keg through a jockey box.

I somehow overlooked the copper mentioned in the OP. Copper coils are pretty common in jockey boxes. If it is a copper coil style jockey box, you definitely don't want to use it for anything other than parties or short events. Beer in copper tubing for extended periods of time is a very bad idea.

I've check it, it is stainless steel. My draft system looks like this:

draft1.jpg

draft2.jpg

Latest posts

Back