Priming a 7 month old brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefrlp

Beer is good
Reaction score
Brewed a stout on 7/7/13. OG = 84. Left in primary, on yeast cake, since then. Used 2 dry packs of Notty. My plans were to buy kegging equipment but that never happened. Haven't taken a SG/FG reading yet (had a vigorous fermentation. Blew over big time) but want to bottle in the morning.

Should I pitch a little more yeast to help carbonate?
Will the standard 4oz corn sugar be enough with the sedated yeast?
Does my priming pitch rate correspond to my FG?

Any input is welcome. Been out of game for a while.

I bottled a batch of barley wine that had been sitting for over 9 months. It carbed up nicely. I would say your going to be ok with bottling it. I would go ahead and use the 4 oz of priming sugar, remember a stout you don't want overcarbbed. As far as the priming pitch rate, are you refering to the level of carbonation you are trying to reach? If thats the case than the carbonation level is determined by how much priming solution you add. If your refering to the whether or not your beer has hit its FG, than you want to wait until you know for sure that they have completely finished or you will get bottle bombs..

Edit: Check this out Priming Calculator

I bottled a batch of barley wine that had been sitting for over 9 months. It carbed up nicely. I would say your going to be ok with bottling it. I would go ahead and use the 4 oz of priming sugar, remember a stout you don't want overcarbbed. As far as the priming pitch rate, are you refering to the level of carbonation you are trying to reach? If thats the case than the carbonation level is determined by how much priming solution you add. If your refering to the whether or not your beer has hit its FG, than you want to wait until you know for sure that they have completely finished or you will get bottle bombs..

Edit: Check this out Priming Calculator

Thx for response. I plan to use 4oz corn sugar tmaro. Looking forward to see what the FG is. Have a feeling it could be as low as 14ish. Hope I didn't pick up too much in "off" flavors while sitting on yeast cake for so long.

When referring to priming pitch rate I was looking at the amount of sugar to use. I agree a stout should be reserved with carb. My concern was with the old/sedated yeast. Wondered if a yeast addition was warranted for the carb process.

Latest posts

Back