primeing with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkoglu

Reaction score
This latest batch I bottled I used DME instead of corn sugar. I took boiling water poured into a clean sterilized mixing bowl and then mixed in 1 & 1/4 cups DME until dissolved. Then pursed that into the beer in the bottling bucket and mixed it in. It's been a week now with hardly any carbonation. What did i do wrong?

Opps meant to put this in bottleing/kegging forum. Teach me to have every forum open in IE7

I used the priming sugar on my first batch and it did well just after 4 - 5 days and even better for 1 - 2 weeks. I thought about the DME also, but everything I found says use the priming sugar.

the sugar worked for me.

Either should work, but you'll find most people use dextrose. Save that DME for your starters.

DME takes longer than dextrose. Try not to think about them for at least two more weeks, keeping them at 70 degrees if you can.

I rarely use DME to prime, but when I do I always boil it. I boil 1.25 cups in some boiling water, cool, and then rack my beer into it. Was yours completely dissolved?

I switched to DME for priming I think at batch number three ot maybe four just cause the dextrose isn't Rheinheitsgebot and it was easier then making gyle or going all grain.

I use 1 cup DME in about a quart of water at room temp, heat up to ~180°F, the DME should be dissolved, put a lid on the pan and let it cool down to 100°F or so over on an unused burner. Takes a little while, but you get good pasteurization after 20 odd minutes at 170 and you are waiting for ~100, maybe 120°.

I put that quart into the priming bucket with the first inch or so of a five gallon beer batch, don't sweat a little oxygen. Youa ren't trying to aerate, but don't have a cow man. Put some kind of loose fitting lid on the bottling bucket and go play a round of golf. Then bottle.

Then wait one month and put one bottle in the fridge for 24 hours, like that one bottle a week after the first month until it is ready. You'll have some carbonation at 2 weeks, but no, not yet. At one week, no, not yet. You'll have good beer in another 3-5 weeks.

I can't taste the difference, but it sure feels good to say Rheinheitsgebot.

German purity laws are great and all, but it would outlaw my Baconbrau!

Back