Primed beer and forgot to take reading!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjdj

Reaction score
I primed (for bottling) my beer (Guillermo's Imperial Pilsner) and forgot to take the reading prior to doing that. Don't ask....I got side tracked. Anyway I primed it and then took my reading and it ended up being slightly higher than what it should be for bottling. The instructions say that it should be below 1.028 before bottling. When I transferred it from the primary the reading was 1.030 and now after adding the sugar it went to 1.032. So, since the bottles aren't a good idea with a chance of it exploding I ended up taking and just put it in a Keg (keep in mind it was with the full amount of priming sugar for bottling). With this said, should I just let it go and wait it out? Will it end up being alright or should I take and add some yeast to it tomorrow when I am able to get more at the brew shop? PLEASE HELP!!:confused:

I wouldn't add yeast, what would that accomplish? So, your target F.G. was below 1.028, you had 1.030 when you moved to secondary and you primed it and measured 1.032 with the priming sugar in solution and then kegged it. I would let it go in the keg, normally you would've wanted to add less sugar so it may become over carbed, but the beauty of the keg is after it is primed, you can bleed off some of that excess CO2 and let it come down a little. I think you'll be fine.

You're fine.

How long had it been sitting at 1.030? A day? A week? If that was truly it's terminal gravity, the sugars were likely not fermentable and you don't really have two extra points of consumable gravity in there.

What was your final volume and how much sugar (corn sugar?) did you add to it? You can back into how many actual points you added in priming sugar.

But it likely isn't an issue. Cjdj is correct that you can bleed off some pressure since it's in a keg.

R DW HAHB

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it. I did end up kegging it and was hoping that this was the right way to go.

It had been sitting at the 1.030 gravity for about 2-1/2 weeks. I basically followed the instructions on time frame to within a day or 2. After reading some of the reviews of that beer, I realize that it is a known issue for that recipe. I guess the "chef" needs to reevaluate it. LOL!

Thanks again for the help.

Yeah, if you were at 1.030 for 2 weeks you're fine. With kegging you don't have to worry about bottle bombs, so as long as it tastes good and hasn't moved it sounds like you're fine.

Just for future reference, be careful with time frame instructions. It sounds like these were pretty well written if they suggested leaving it in secondary for 2.5 weeks, but every batch can be different. A time frame that works one day might not work the other. It might be possible you moved the beer out of primary a little early and the gravity got stuck, but FG is really hard to predict anyways and you're probably fine!

Back