Prime the Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtus-maximus

Reaction score
So I have been wanting to rack some beer to secondary (I know there are a lot of non-believers out there but please control yourselves) but I feel like I need a smaller carboy. I use a 6.5 gal carboy for my 5 gal batches and many people say that this is too big and will lead to oxidation when used for secondary.

My question here is... Could I rack to a 6.5 gal secondary but then add some priming sugar to the mix to re-initiate some fermentation thus pushing out the oxygen, replacing it with CO2?

Thoughts? And not the ones that try to talk me out of racking to secondary. I have heard many of the pluses and minuses but I really want to learn this.

So I have been wanting to rack some beer to secondary (I know there are a lot of non-believers out there but please control yourselves) but I feel like I need a smaller carboy. I use a 6.5 gal carboy for my 5 gal batches and many people say that this is too big and will lead to oxidation when used for secondary.

My question here is... Could I rack to a 6.5 gal secondary but then add some priming sugar to the mix to re-initiate some fermentation thus pushing out the oxygen, replacing it with CO2?

Thoughts? And not the ones that try to talk me out of racking to secondary. I have heard many of the pluses and minuses but I really want to learn this.

The only issue with adding the priming sugar to help protect the beer is that it will take a while for that to happen, as you'll have 1.5 gallons of headspace initially, and then it will dissipate fairly quickly as gasses seek equilibrium.

If you are going to rack to a clearing vessel, it should be an appropriately sized carboy.

First of all, we are not non believers, we are non conformists.
Having said that, by all means rack away and learn the process of moving beer from vessel to vessel. Just realize that it is not always necessary, just an extra step that can potentially be infectious.
As far as your concern, while not ideal, it can be done.
The residual CO2 in the beer is released during the transfer and there is enough to provide a blanket above your beer.
If you add additional sugar, you have to boil it before adding or you will possibly infect the beer.

The splashing that's inherent to racking will introduce some oxygen, and is probably the biggest risk for short-term secondaries. Flooding the secondary with CO2 before racking would help, although this isn't an option for many of us, myself included. Adding some sugar as you suggested will help drive off oxygen, although it will take a few days. A smaller container would be a better choice, as you can both reduce the head space and the surface area by filling up to the narrow neck.

That 5 gallon carboy is your answer for the next time. You are probably OK because the oxidation off flavors are something that develop over time - on the order of months. So if you drink it sooner than say 3 months after bottled, it will be fine.

If you rack it right after the vigorous attenuation phase when it is near FG but still getting a bubble now and then, it will still produce some C02 and protect the beer after transfer.

Yeah. I'll likely wait until I have another Carboy.

Also love the profile pic Jethro. Great documentary!

One option concerning CO2 back filling. You could pickup one of the CO2 chargers that use the 16 gram cartridges to use for filling the dead space. Pretty cheap and helpful if you ever try kegging. Just throwing it out there...

I do it all the time. The sugar I add is always included in the original recipe. Usually around 4 to 6 ozs.

My norm is 3 week primary, rack to secondary (harvest yeast before adding anything, or leaving the yeast too long under pressure). Rack to secondary, and add a small amount of sugar (boiled/cooled like priming sugar).

Never had an issue. I suspect the yeast has consumed it within 24 hours, or less, after all it is very little, and the yeast is still very active. Makes me feel OK.

I did it today. Used 4 ozs. It will help drive off any O2 you might have picked up during the transfer.

Back